This tasty appetizer accompanied by an ice-cold beer was a specialty dish of “Ilhabela”, a small bar in São Paulo city south districts, where dwell so many German and northern Europe immigrants. This is not a traditional recipe, but like many others recipes, it is the result of the coexistence between different culinary cultures and deserves to be tasted.
Choose a very tender meat cut and, after cooked, it has to be very thinly sliced. Also, if the mayonnaise is freshly homemade, it would be perfect!
“Ilhabela” is an enchanting island on São Paulo’s (“paulista”) northern beach coast.
• roast beef
• soft whole wheat bread
• Gorgonzola cheese or butter
• sweet sour cucumbers or sweet pickles
- Spread the Gorgonzola cheese or softened butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Cover each slice of bread with a layer of thinly sliced roast beef.
- Cut each slice of bread into 4 – 6 pieces.
- Top each canapé with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and garnish with a slice of cucumber or pickles.
How to make mayonnaise:
- Crack an egg into an immersion blender container.
- Add a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Then add corn oil until a volume of about 200 ml was reached.
- Place an immersion blender to the bottom of container and turn on.
- Once the mixture begins to thicken, slowly pull blender up (up and down a couple of times) to make sure mixture mixes completely. To get a thicker consistency add a little oil, still blending.
Posted on: 25 April 2012