“Arroz à grega” is white rice with sautéed diced vegetables. It isn’t a risotto but it’s a side dish for meat, poultry or fish. This recipe is colorful and inviting.
• 400 g Basmati rice
• 600 ml boiling water, approximately (almost double the volume of rice)
• ½ onion chopped
• 1 garlic clove chopped
• 2 carrots
• 1 sweet pepper
• a handful of green peas or green beans
• 1 zucchini
• 2 tablespoons corn oil
• salt and black pepper
- Wash the rice several times until the water becomes clear. Add the rice to the boiling water, switch to very low heat and cover the pan. Simmer the rice for about 8 minutes. When water has dried, check if it is cooked. Add a little water if it is too hard. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Wash, peel (if necessary) and cut the vegetables into small cubes.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil over medium-high flame and sauté the vegetables, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and black pepper.
- When the vegetables have softened add the cooked rice and mix gently.
Yield: 6 servings.
Posted on: 11 November 2011