Cachaça gumdrops are jelly candies with a slight hint of cachaça, covered with a thin layer of sugar. It is an unusual candy for dessert, loved by everyone who ate it. It’s also a great snack choice to sweeten your palate at all hours. Usually it is made from red gelatin, but I prefer to use the colourless to maintain the “cachaças” white colour, affectionately known as “branquinha” (white). You must use higher quality cachaça, preferably aged.
Although the alcohol evaporates during cooking, I don’t give kids these gumdrops.
• 20 g gelatin leaf
• 250 ml water
• 500 g sugar
• 100-150 ml cachaça
- Soak the gelatine leaves with the water in a large heavy bottomed frying pan (during cooking a lot of foam will form on top of the syrup). Allow to hydrate for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the hydrated leaf over a gentle heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add sugar and stir constantly until mixture boils.
- Add the cachaça and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened: a small amount syrup dropped from spoon remains attached to the tip of the spoon. It takes about 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool down and skim off any foam. Pour the mixture into oiled rectangular containers 9 cm x13 cm (a layer 1 cm thick). Let it cool down, then put in the fridge to harden for a few hours or, even better, until the next day.
- Run the knife along the edges of the mould and unmould the block over a surface dusted with sugar. The gelatin block must be soft, elastic and sticky.
- Cut into cubes with a knife or scissors and coat with sugar. Let stand overnight. After a few hours will begin to form a sugar layer on the gumdrops surface.
- Serve with coffee after a meal or at any time of the day. It keeps well at room temperature for more than a week, then sugar will begin to crystallize slowly.
• Add a red food dye (the traditional colour of these gumdrops).
• Add a flavour: pineapple, anise, vanilla, lemon, etc.
• Dissolve sugar, hydrated leaf, water and “cachaça” over a gentle heat, without boiling. It will be very soft and the cachaça flavour becomes more intense.
Yield: 70 gumdrops.
Posted on: 12 December 2016