There are many different types of dessert bananas that are eaten raw, as “banana prata” (silver banana), “banana maçã” (apple banana) and “banana ouro” (gold banana), but the “banana nanica” (the most common type) is also used to make savory dishes and desserts.
This is the easiest and quickest recipe to use ripe common bananas. “Nanica”, curiously, means modest, unpretentious.
• 1 normal banana per person
• 1 or 2 tablespoons sugar for each banana
• cinnamon powder
- Peel the bananas.
- Place them in a frying pan and sprinkle over the sugar.
- Cook over high heat until the sugar melts and turns golden-brown, shaking the pan to prevent them from sticking.
- Cover with the lid, turn down the heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Gently turn the bananas over, cover with the lid and cook for another 5 minutes, until the bananas are cooked and soft.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon if you like.
- It can be served either hot or cold.
Posted on: 11 November 2011