This is a very widespread homemade recipe in Brazil’s centre-south region. Simple but very tasty, this recipe can be made from cheaper cuts of beef, which require a long cooking time. If desired you can add slices of sweet pepper, chopped parsley, a pinch of pepper or a little chilli.
This dish is usually accompanied by white rice (basmati) and mashed potatoes.
• 600 g sliced beef
• 400 g red tomatoes, approximately
• 300 g onion, approximately
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 garlic clove
• 4 tablespoons corn oil
- Peel garlic and onion and slice the onion into rings.
- Wash the tomatoes and slice them.
- Put 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan.
- Arrange a layer of the sliced onion in the bottom of the pan and season with salt.
- Make a layer of beef slices, a layer of sliced onion and a layer of sliced tomato. Season each layer with salt.
- Add the bay leaf and the garlic.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients have been used, finishing with a layer of tomatoes.
- Add a little oil.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over low heat for about 1 hour. The natural juices released by ingredients at the beginning of cooking will be almost absorbed.
Yield: 4 portions.
Posted on: 04 October 2012