This small, soft and tasty homemade cake is the easiest recipe to make. It is a well known cake and all the recipes I know are very similar to this one, my mom’s recipe.
To use oil in place of butter in the mix is widespread nowadays, and there are many examples in vegetarian cuisine and in haute cuisine.
For an alternative try using grated coconut in place of chocolate in the batter and, to garnish, sprinkle some icing sugar instead of the chocolate coating.
For the batter:
• 250 g grated carrots
• 200 ml corn oil
• 4 eggs
• 250 g sugar
• 250 g all-purpose flour
• 50 g cocoa powder
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
For the chocolate icing:
• 100 g sugar
• 40 g cocoa powder
• 50 ml water
• 50 g butter
- Blend the egg yolks and whites with a fork.
- Combine the ingredients for the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a mold buttered and floured or lined with grease-proof paper.
- Bake at 190° C for about 35 minutes.
- Stick a toothpick in the center of the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Combine the ingredients for the coating in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Then simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate and cover the cake all over with the boiling chocolate coating.
Posted on: 03 April 2012