“Brejeirice” comes from the word “brejeiro” that means playfull, mischievous, and it’s a soft coconut cookie, a great tea time snack and any time snack. It’s easy and quick to make, and will keep well in a sealed container.
• 250 g butter
• 3 egg yolks
• 400 g sweetened condensed milk
• 150 g dry grated coconut
• 500 g all-purpose flour, approximately
• 1 level tablespoon baking powder
• sugar to garnish
- Beat butter and egg yolks with the electric mixer until soft and creamy, add the other ingredients and mix well with your hands. It should be the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.
- Roll the dough into sausage shapes, cut into small pieces and roll into balls measuring about 2 cm (diameter).
- Coat the balls in sugar, arrange on a greased (or lined with parchment paper) baking sheet and use a fork to make indentations on top of the balls.
- Bake at 200° C for about 15 minutes, until they begin to brown on the bottom.
Yield: 96 “brejeirices”.
Posted on: 11 November 2011