Caramelized fruit upside down cake is a “grandmother’s cake”. It is easy to make, effective and very, very good. An alternative to bananas for the sponge cake top are pineapple slices with pitted dried prunes in the center.
For caramel banana topping:
• 250 g sugar
• 8 – 10 normal bananas
For the sponge cake:
• 4 eggs
• 2 egg yolks
• 180 g sugar
• 150 g all-purpose flour
• 50 g potato starch
- Pour 250 g sugar into a rectangular baking pan (about 25×35 cm). Heat the sugar over medium-high heat until it melts and caramelizes (turns into a golden-brown syrup). Turn the mold to spread the caramel on the bottom of the baking pan.
- Let the baking pan cool, grease the sides of baking pan and arrange, over the caramel, the bananas cut in half lengthwise.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until they double in volume.
- Gently add sifted flour and corn starch and lightly combine.
- Put the sponge cake batter into the caramelized baking pan, over the bananas.
- Bake at 190° C for about 30 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center of the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Let it cool in the baking pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a serving plate.
Posted on: 11 November 2011