The “Pudim de Leite Moça” is a classic homemade dessert recipe and one of the most popular desserts in Brazil. As the name implies, the main ingredient is sweetened condensed milk.
The chocolate version of this pudding is the “Brigadeirão”.
For the caramel sauce:
• 200 g sugar
• 50 ml water
For the pudding:
• 300 ml sweetened condensed milk
• 300 ml milk
• 3 large eggs
• ring mold (1,2 litres)
Preparation of the caramel sauce:
- Melt the sugar over low heat in a saucepan.
- When melted sugar turns golden in color, add the water and boil. When all the melted sugar is dissolved the caramel is ready to line the mold. This caramel may be stored and used in other desserts such as “panna cotta”.
- Another faster way to make caramel is to melt 150 g sugar into the ring mold over low heat until golden brown, turning the mold to spread the caramel evenly. Using a fork makes it easier to spread caramel evenly.
- You may also make individual portions.
Preparation of the pudding:
- Blend all the ingredients together and pour the mixture into the caramelized ring mold (1,2 litres). Cover with a lid and bake (in oven) at 180°C in a bain marie for about one hour and a half.
- Another faster way to cook the pudding is in a bain marie over the cooker, covered with a lid. It takes about 20 minutes. Make sure no boiling water splashes into the ring mold.
- Insert a small knife in center of pudding; it is ready if there is no more liquid.
- Let cool and unmould on a deep serving plate. Keep it in the fridge.
Yield: 6 – 8 servings.
Posted on: 11 November 2011