This delicious juice is a homemade recipe at practically zero cost and practically effortless to make: a cheap recipe that wastes nothing, a real comfort food.
Pineapple is a typically tropical fruit, and it is said that its skin, as well as many other fruits, not only contains all the properties of the fruit, but has a higher concentration than pulp.
• 1 ripe and fragrant organic pineapple
• 100-150 g sugar, to taste
• 1 litre water
1. Wash and scrub with a brush the pineapple skin under running water. If desired, use a disinfectant, following the manufacturer’s instructions, and then rinse well.
2. Remove the top of the pineapple (crown) and peel the fruit. If the crown leaves are still green you can try growing a pineapple from top: slice off the excess fruit around the crown, soak the crown in water for 3-4 weeks (until roots poke out and begin to grow) and then plant it in a soft, well-drained soil.
3. Put the skins, sugar and water in a pan. Bring to the boil and let it simmer for 15-30 minutes: cooking for a longer time the juice becomes more concentrated.
4. Allow to cool down, strain the drink through a sieve and refrigerate, it will keep well for up to 1 week.
5. Serve very cold, diluted with a little water. You can add a splash of lime juice, or also use a pineapple slice, a lime slice or mint leaves for garnish.
Note: to make a pineapple tea boil the skin for only 5 minutes and add, at the end of the cooking process, a cinnamon stick, mint leaves or a piece of ginger root, to taste, and serve hot.
Posted on: 19 June 2017