The “torta de liquidificador” is a homely dish, very easy to make and very tasty. It can be served hot, warm or cold, straight out of the fridge. It is always present at picnics, parties and buffet parties and it is great as a main dish.
For the batter:
• 450 ml milk
• 1 beef stock cube
• 3 large eggs
• 150 ml corn oil
• 180 g all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
For the filling:
• 3 mature tomatoes
• olive oil
• 200 g Emmental cheese
• 1 canned mackerel or sardines (approximately 80 g of drained product)
• 120 g fresh or frozen green peas
• a handful of pitted olives, optional
1. Peel the tomatoes, cut into thin slices, season with salt, oregano, olive oil and set aside.
2. Grate or cut the cheese into small cubes and set aside.
3. Open the tin of fish and drain the oil.
4. The fresh or frozen peas can be used raw.
5. You can use the oil from the canned fish in place of some corn oil.
6. Blend all batter ingredients together.
7. Pour half the batter into a round (25cm diameter) or rectangular baking dish, greased or lined with grease-proof paper.
8. Spread the filling evenly over the first layer of batter and cover with remaining batter.
9. Bake in preheated oven at 190º C for around 50 minutes, until it is golden brown.
10. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Note: you may use sliced 250g palm heart or 150g sliced cooked champignon mushrooms instead of the green peas.
Posted on: 11 November 2011