“Arroz doce” is also a Portuguese recipe. It may be served as a dessert or as a snack, and it’s a traditional “festas juninas” (June festivities which coincide with the corn harvest) dish, celebrating St. Anthony’s, St. Peter’s and St. John’s Day.
• 180 g rice (for soup)
• 400 ml water
• 150 g sugar
• 600 ml milk, approximately
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 3 pieces of lemon peel
- Rinse the rice in cold water, pour in a pan with the water and cook over moderate heat until all the water is absorbed; this takes about 6 minutes.
- Add milk, sugar, cinnamon stick and lemon peel. With a little more milk you can make it creamier.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice is soft and creamy.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and the lemon peel and pour the pudding into a serving bowl or individual dessert bowls.
- Sprinkled with cinnamon powder.
- Serve warm or cold, and store in fridge.
Yield: 4 – 6 serving.
Posted on: 11 November 2011