“Batata palha” is fried grated raw potatoes, dry and crisp, served as an accompaniment dish for “stroganoff” and other stew recipes. It takes some time and patience but it tastes so much better than the store bought potato crisps!
• 200 g potato per person, approximately
• frying oil
- Wash, peel and grate the potatoes. Use the large holes of box grater.
- Wash the grated potatoes several times until the water becomes clear (to remove the starch so as to prevent from sticking during frying).
- Dry the “potato straws” with paper towels and deep fry a small amount at a time in very hot oil. To check the oil temperature put a toothpick into it: if it forms small bubbles it is hot enough. Shake the pan occasionally to prevent from sticking during frying.
- When the “potato straws” are golden brown place them on paper towels to drain excess oil. Add salt.
- They may be made in advance and served at room temperature.
Posted on: 27 December 2011