The “crusted chicken leg” is a fried coated chicken leg – depending on the size of the chicken leg it is almost a meal in itself. It is a version of a popular appetizer – the Hen Thigh, and was introduced in 1975 to the Vienna Restaurant menu, a well known food brand in Brazil. The “crusted chicken legs” are today very widespread in Brazil and there are many versions of this recipe.
Chicken broth ingredients:
• 5 large skinless chicken legs
• carrot, celery, parsley, onion, garlic
• 1 teaspoon salt
• black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 liter of water
• 750 ml hot chicken broth
• 75 g butter
• 250 g all-purpose flour
• ½ teaspoon salt
• a pinch of sugar
• black pepper
• 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
For the coating:
• 1 egg
• a pinch of salt
• frying oil
- Make the broth: combine all of the broth ingredients in a saucepan and cook until chicken legs are done. Allow the broth to cool down and pass it through a strainer. Reserve the broth for the pastry and remove the cartilage from the proximal end of the chicken legs.
- Make the crust (similar to choux pastry without eggs) in a heavy-bottomed saucepan: melt the butter, add flour and mix well. Add the broth to the mixture a little at a time, stir vigorously and cook for about 3 minutes. If if there are lumps in the pastry you can use the mixer to remove them. Season with salt, pepper, sugar and parsley. The pastry should have a thick, smooth and flexible consistency.
- Allow to cool down a little. Then use a spoon to make 5 portions of pastry and arrange them on a greased work surface, ensuring that they are well separated from each other.
- Place one leg at the center of each portion of pastry, then cover each one with the remaining pastry.
- Grease your hands and shape the “chicken legs”, leaving the bone clean.
- Pass them in the beaten egg with a pinch of salt and coat with bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil until they are golden brown. To reach the right temperature put a toothpick into the oil and wait until small bubles form. Remove and transfer to paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Bake the “crusted chicken legs” in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15 minutes before serving.
Note: this recipe can be made with chicken wings and served as a snack.
Yield: 5 servings.
Posted on: 06 April 2014