Creamed Corn is a very popular side dish to accompany poultry meat or fish. It is a nutritious recipe, light, tasty and very easy to make. Fried chicken in breadcrumbs, creamed corn, white rice, fried banana in breadcrumbs and potato straws are a great match known as “Supremo à Canadense” (Canadian Supreme).
• canned sweet corn (about 300 g)
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons chopped onion
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• ½ litre milk
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ground black pepper
• ground nutmeg
- Heat the butter, add the onions and let them cook.
- Add the flour, mix well and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the hot milk a little at a time, stirring constantly. It is the same procedure as for bechamel sauce.
- Add the drained corn and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil and it’s ready.
Note: this recipe is already very good, but you may substitute half the milk with heavy cream and add 2 egg yolks, 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, at the end of cooking.
Posted on: 15 March 2012