The eggs “farofa” is an excellent side dish for rice and beans as well as a side dish for barbecue.
There are numerous versions of this recipe all around the country, but the most famous one – that becomes protagonist – is the accompaniment to the Galeto de Brasília, emblematic dish of the Federal District, prepared by chef Francisco Ansiliero (born in the State of Santa Catarina of Italian descent), made with artisan flour and cooked in cast-iron cookware.
• 3-4 eggs
• ½ shot glass of water (optional)
• 2-3 tablespoons butter
• 1 small onion
• parsley and green onions
• salt and ground black pepper
• 200 g toasted manioc flour
- Beat eggs, water, salt and pepper in a bowl until blended.
- Chop or grate the onion. Chop green onions and parsley.
- In a large frying pan heat the butter, add the onion and cook until tender. Then add green onions and parsley and cook another couple of minutes.
- Add the beaten eggs and cook, stirring continuously, until the eggs are just fully cooked but still slightly creamy (not dry).
- Turn off the stove, add the manioc flour and stir gently to combine. Season to taste.
Note: if you prefer use the parsley and the green onion as a garnish, instead of adding them to the mixture.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Posted on: 22 February 2018