Frango a passarinho means chicken fried as one fries a small bird, because the chicken is cut into small pieces. It goes perfectly with rice and beans, “farofa”, salad, but also makes an excellent appetizer. It must be well seasoned, very crisp and dry.
• 1 whole chicken
• 4 tablespoons lemon juice
• 4 garlic cloves
• black pepper
• frying oil
• chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Remove the fat from chicken but leave the skin, wash the chicken and cut into small pieces with a cleaver. The thigh, for example, must be cut into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Peel garlic and cut it into thin slices.
- Season chicken with lemon, garlic, salt, black pepper and marinate for at least an hour. Other spices may be added, if you like.
- Remove the garlic, dry chicken pieces with paper towels and deep fry in the hot oil a few at a time (so as not to lower the temperature of the oil), until they are golden brown. Place them on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot over a bed of lettuce. You can sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.
Posted on: 11 November 2011