The mosaic jello is a colorful, tasty, fresh, easy to make and very economical dessert. The jello (powdered gelatin and flavorings) was introduced in Brazil at the beginning of the last century and quickly became a recurring presence in snacks and desserts, leaving a deep trace in the childhood memories of everybody.
• 4 small boxes (for 500 ml water) of “JELLO” (gelatin dessert) in different colors (yellow, green, red and violet)
• 25 g gelatin sheets (5 sheets)
• 400 g sweetened condensed milk
• 200 ml milk
- You can replace sweetened condensed milk with equal amount of heavy cream or yogurt, and sugar to taste.
- You can replace the milk with heavy cream and reduce the amount of gelatin to 20 g.
Make the Jello gelatin:
- Dissolve each box of Jello separately using 200 ml of boiling water. Mix well and add 100 ml of cold or frost water. Ignore the instructions on the box of Jello and use only 300 ml of water so the Jello is firm and can be cut into blocks.
- Pour into 4 slightly oiled individual containers or baking dishes (glass, ceramic, steel, silicone, plastic) and chill the gelatin for 4 hours or until very thick, preferably over night.
Once the Jello is very thick make the “milk mixture”:
- Soften the gelatin sheets in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the gelatine sheets and dissolve them over low heat with a tablespoon of milk.
- Mix well the dissolved gelatin, the remaining milk and the sweetened condensed milk.
- Bring in the fridge for a few minutes to cool, without waiting for it hardens.
To assemble the mosaic:
Cut each color into cubes and place them carefully on the bottom of cups for dessert. Pour cooled “milk mixture” over Jello cubes and finish with some Jello cube, which must remain in sight, as in the image.
Slightly oil with corn oil a tray, a pudding or a plum cake mould (glass, ceramic, steel, silicone, plastic). Cut the colored gelatin into 2 cm squares and place them carefully in the oiled tray. Mix the Jello blocks together with your fingers. Pour cooled “milk mixture” over Jello cubes. Shake the mould gently to release any air bubbles. Allow to very thick in the fridge. At serving time unmold and cut into slices.
Yield: 12 servings.
Posted on: 27 August 2012