Banana jam is a home made recipe really easy to make but really delicious. It can also be served as a dessert course, together with a slice of fresh cheese or a tablespoon of cream cheese.
• 6 ripe bananas (approximately 850 g)
• 3 tablespoons water
• sugar (calculate about 75% of the banana puree total weight)
• 1 or 2 limes, to taste
- Peel the bananas and cut them into small pieces.
- Put the bananas into a thick-bottomed pan, add 3 tablespoons of water and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the bananas break-up. It takes about 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the cooked bananas.
- Weigh the banana puree. Add sugar calculating a weight that is equivalent to 75% of the net puree weight (500 g puree => 375 g sugar). If the bananas are not very sweet add a little more sugar.
- Mix together puree, sugar and lemon juice and cook over medium-high heat stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes, until the mixture thickens enough to show the pan bottom during stirring.
- Pour into a ceramic or glass food container and store in the refrigerator.
Posted on: 22 January 2013