The “Olivier Salad”, also known as Russian salad, is a dish of Russian cuisine created in 1860 by Olivier Lousiene, Moscow chef of French origin. This salad is the most traditional dish for the Russian New Year’s Eve dinner at home, and it is always served on special occasions. In Russia it is usually prepared with potatoes, carrots, green peas, eggs, onion, cucumber, mayonnaise, sour cream and kolbasa (a traditional Russian sausage).
This one is my family’s recipe, that can be enriched with tuna fish (“maionese de atum”), shredded cooked chicken (“maionese de frango”), prawn (“maionese de camarão”), ham or sausage cut into small pieces. The “maionese de batata” is excellent to be served with meat, poultry and fish dishes.
• Russia Oggi.it
• Portale Spb, San Pietroburgo Assolutamente
• 500 g potatoes
• 300 g carrots
• 200 g green peas or green beans
• 1 tablespoon vinegar
• 3 – 4 eggs
• 100 g sweet sour cucumbers or sweet pickles
• 2 spring onions
• 1 or 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
• 1 green apple
• salt, ground black pepper
• 200 g mayonnaise, approximately
For the mayonnaise:
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
• a pinch of salt
• 150 ml corn oil, approximately
- Wash out carefully the potatoes without peeling them. Add a tablespoon of vinegar to cooking water, bring the water to the boil and cook the potatoes in gently boiling water until tender.
- Put the eggs in a pot covered of cold water, bring to boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Peel boiled potatoes and hard boiled eggs and cut them into small cubes.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into small cubes.
- Cook diced carrots and green peas until soft.
- Chop the parsley, the spring onions and the sweet pickles. Peel the apple and cut it into cubes.
- Preparation of mayonnaise: in a tall immersion blender container place the egg, salt, mustard and corn oil until a volume of about 200 ml was reached. Lower immersion blender to bottom of container. Turn on. Raise very slowly to the top of the mixture, pulse up and down a couple of times to make sure you have the perfect consistence.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl, season with ground black pepper, salt and mix well.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
Posted on: 14 July 2012