CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO
The Roast “Picanha” (Rump Cap) cooked in a pan is a quick, easy and very tasty recipe for every occasion.
The “picanha” is a particularly tender and flavourful cut of beef. You can cook it on the grill (barbecue) or in a pan (steak, braised, stew, and roast). In Italy today you can quite easily find vacuum packed “picanha”.
• a whole picanha (Rump Cap) about 1- 1.1 kg (with fat)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
• coarse salt
• ground pepper
1. Place the oil and the meat fat-side down in a frying pan.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cook uncovered over low heat for 15 minutes. Move the meat around in the frying pan a couple of times, to prevent meat from sticking to pan.
4. Turn the meat, add salt and cook uncovered the other side on low heat for another 15 minutes. Move the meat around in the frying pan again a couple of times.
5. Turn the meat, cover with a lid and cook for 7-8 minutes.
6. Turn the meat again, cover with a lid and cook for 7-8 more minutes. The meat should be soft to the touch and reddish in the centre!
• The cooking time is indicative: roast the meat to get it to your own liking.
• Season with herbs and spices, if desired.
• When the roast is chilled you can slice it in a meat slicer.
• A 1,5 – 1,6 kg “picanha” (Rump Cap) must be cooked covered with a lid for 12-15 minutes on each side, after cooking uncovered for 15 minutes on each side.
• Chef’s Restaurant usually trim the edges of the “picanha” to make a rectangular parallelepiped (before cooking). So, when roast is done, they can make equal slices.
Sauces: Vinaigrette, Italian Green Sauce or Melted Garlic Butter.
Side dishes: fresh salad, cooked vegetables, farofa, baked potatoes, Olivier salad, rice.
Posted on: 11 January 2017