Beans Soup is a delicious and nutritious dish, usually made with leftover baked beans. This recipe is a local version of a traditional Portuguese soup, very well known in the south of Brazil. Portugal has a strong tradition in preparing and enjoying soups.
• 250 g dried beans
• 1 bay leaf
• a piece of bacon
• half onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 150 g diced carrots
• 150 g diced pumpkin
• 50 g small pasta for soup
• olive oil
1. Wash the beans and soak them overnight if possible. Put the beans into a pan, cover with 1 litre water, add the bay leaf and bacon and cook until soft.
2. Remove the bay leaf and the bacon and mash the beans by using an immersion blender.
3. Sauté the onion and garlic in a little olive oil.
4. Add the diced carrots and pumpkin, salt, 1 litre water and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Add the pasta to soup and let it cook.
6. Finally add the beans puree and let simmer for a few minutes.
7. Salt to taste and add a little more water if necessary.
8. To serve, ladle the soup into soup bowls and drizzle with a little olive oil.
• Use leftover baked beans.
• Add diced potatoes and green beans cut into small pieces.
• Replace beans with lentils.
• Mash all (except the pasta for soup) by using an immersion blender.
Posted on: 11 January 2013